6.18.2005

Y'all wanna go see a dead body?

Another first in my life happened this week, I got to see dead people. Three of them.
A horrific car crash occurred at 12:20 p.m., eight kilometers (five miles) north of the Battlefords.
Being it was lunch hour, I was the only reporter in the office. The editor ran to my desk, told me to grab a camera and follow the sirens.
I arrived on the scene just in time to watch them remove to bodies from the wine-coloured Sunfire, that was crumpled in the ditch.
A third body was trapped in the passenger’s seat, so they placed a blanket on top of her, while they used the jaws of life to remove the roof and save a survivor pinned in the back seat.
The little fiberglass car tried to drive right through a half-ton GMC truck.
The worst part of the story is that the deceased are all under the age of 18.
I don’t know why, but the whole ordeal hasn’t hit me yet.
I’m starting to think I’m the shallowest guy in the world.
Sidebit: I could have been on CBC radio. They called me up to get a reaction to the accident scene and the atmosphere of the city. I declined.