9.23.2005

When will the fighting stop?

Just after hurricane Katrina, one of our reporters wrote a column about the people who didn’t want to be saved were stupid.
He explained all the various ways these people could have received help but never got it.
The column was poorly timed, and quite a few people got upset by the write up, especially another reporter.
She thought the author didn’t care about the people and had no respect for human life. She was so upset the tears started flowing.
When I first read the column, I knew what the reaction was going to be. It was pretty clear, but I spurred it along.
Even the first two debates between the two reporters were brought along by me. It was fun at first, but now it won’t stop.
It’s been two weeks and they’re still bickering about the whole thing. Neither of the two will budge or just drop it.
The teary eyed reporter wants a written apology printed in the paper.
That’s were I got a little upset. People shouldn’t have to apologize for their opinions.
You should be able to think and say whatever you want as long as it’s not really hurting anyone else.
This column by no means infringed on anyone’s rights, and if it wasn’t for the timing of the opinion piece most people would have agreed with it.
Instead of saying the people remaining in the path of a hurricane, he should have said the path of a semi-truck or Joel’s wrath.
These two should just drop the whole subject.

I am one of the luckiest people in the office. The columnist is a tech geek, so I get to hear about all the different functions on the latest gadget. I don’t always mind this. It was a lot better than Joel’s lectures about HTML and what sequence of buttons would perform the supreme combo on Killer instinct. Joel had to put up with my David Spade and Superman references. He also managed to sit through hours and hours of Pulp blasting in the background. Oh the good old days living with Joel in southside Calgary.
Anyway, the other reporter is a grammar queen. About five times a story, I get a little grammar lesson. It’s nothing major except a is in the wrong spot or she thinks there’s a better way to phrase something. It’s mainly just personal preference. Our actual copy editor is fine with it, but she isn't. It gets annoying, really annoying.
Next week, since neither of them are into sports, I’m going to start spouting off stats from the weekend’s games. They rant about crap I don’t care about, so now I’m going to go on and on about stuff they could care less about.
So, I’m at the office and I’m looking up some obscure sports trivia to enhance the weekend scores.
Yes, I am evil. Ahhh Ha ha ha ha ha. That’s my evil laugh. It's not very good.