9.05.2005

Rider Pride

Saskatchewan has one professional team: the Roughriders. Last night they won their CFL match over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
I’ve never seen a group of people love or hate a team so much.
When the Riders are winning, they’re the greatest team in the world. When they’re losing, everyone is jumping off the wagon.
Last night I went for a birthday/BBQ/Rider game fiesta. Everyone was cursing the Riders. They had their Rider paraphernalia, blankets, hats and beer mugs, but all the fans were cursing the television. Saskatchewan was on a five game losing skid, so no one loved their only pro team at the moment.
They uproars were even worse when the announcer informed the world that the backup QB would be starting the game.
By half time, with the Riders in the lead and Crandell having a good game, the not-so-loyal fans were back on the wagon drinking and partying away. The second-stringer QB was the new hero.
I bet tomorrow that I’ll hear nothing but great things about the amazing Riders.
The whole point to this is how quickly fans can turn on a team.
I never understood it. I’m a loyal person. I stood by the Flames for all eight of the seasons they didn’t make it to the playoffs. I hung in for the past five Blue Jays seasons and I’m still cheering for the Canadian soccer squad to make it back to the World Cup. It won’t be 2006, but 2010 is our year. We’re going to kick Trinidad and Tobegos’ ass next gold cup.

I also think there should be a lot more BBQs. They’re so much fun, drinking beer, roasting hotdogs, eating potato salad and just hanging out by a fire. I also had my very first smore. I'm no longer a smore virgin and I expect I'm about to turn into a smore slut.