4.06.2005

It's hockey night tonight....

I watched the best hockey game of the year last night.
It was game 7 of the Battlefords North Stars and La Ronge Ice Wolves semi-final playoff series.
The game was a nonstop battle, and the home town team came out victorious with a thrilling 4-3 win.
The Civic Centre was packed full of hockey fans. Ninety-eight per cent of them were cheering for the Stars.
The other two per cent made the four hour trip down to witness a spectacular sport at its finest.
There were massive hits, big saves and sweet goals.
The excitement grew in the pit of my stomach and by midway through the first I was yelling at the players and refs.
I know I’m supposed to be an unbiased journalist, but it’s hard when you follow a team for an entire season, get to know the players and coach.
You feel like a part of the team.
I never ran onto the ice as the final buzzer sounded, but it would have been nice.
Our team deserved to win. They out-worked the Ice Wolves from start to finish.
The most nerve racking moment of the game came midway through the third period, when the North Stars found themselves in penalty trouble.
They had a three-on-five disadvantage for two full minutes. The score was 4-3.
I was sweating somewhat fierce. I was expecting the Wolves to tie the game up, but they never did.
The Stars finished the final eight minutes of the game in La Ronge’s end.
Watching the intense hockey brought back a flood of memories of NHL season past.
The Calgary run to the cup last year.
The excitement of the Habs taking the cup in 92/93 over the Kings.
I remember watching the Magnificent One lead the Penguins to two consecutive cups.
And how could I forget the beloved Oilers from my childhood, who dominated the sport in the 80s.
I want the NHL back. Quit being greedy everyone. Owners and players. Piss off and give the fans their sport back.