3.13.2008

The Ethics of Spring

Does anyone else think that Spring Fever is better classified as Spring Rage? For some unexplainable reason, as soon as the snow melts, people start getting REALLY tetchy, anxious, and irritable. You'd think people would finally be happy after having to deal with constant snowstorms and -30 weather, but no! Hell, for the most part everybody's really easy to get along with during the winter. I think it might be because the rage they'd usually direct at other people gets directed at the cold.

I myself am not immune to this effect. About a week ago, after I finished my day at the library, I started my commute back to Rocky. A little ways into the journey there's the Gull Lake Section, where the road gets really windy and twisty, the speed limit drops from 100 to 80, and it's pretty much impossible to pass anyone. That particular day I got stuck behind a car going 70, and as is natural behaviour for anybody in that situation, I got really pissed off. After we reached Bentley and the car made a right turn, I found my right foot was getting a bit more weight behind it. I started going much faster than I normally would, but as is usual, I once again found myself behind a slower-moving vehicle. Once again I was irritable, desperate to pass.

It was then I came into a certain understanding. The fact that it was a gorgeous day had something to do with it, I guess, but it was more to the fact that the sooner I got back to Rocky the sooner I'd have to work. What was the point of rushing? Why was I getting so irritated? It was about that time a big truck flew past both of our vehicles, spitting gravel all over the place.

So yeah. It's Spring, people! Although it's damn muddy and wet and gross, it's still some of the nicest weather we'll see all year. Soon it's going to be plus 30, and that's when people are going to get really pissed off.