11.29.2006

Tightcollar U

Yet another illusion about the world has been shattered! I was under the impression that the post-secondary experience was supposed to be chock full of youthful exuberance. I guess I've been mistaken about that, if you take the displays and booths that are on display in the quad of my college into consideration.

This year I have a seen:

  • A book sale where the only books were either for young children or soccer moms.
  • A sad, lonely and mustached man giving away free copies of The New Testament.
  • A booth extolling the benefits of Costco membership.

However, the booth I saw today took the cake.

Freedom 55.

Freedom Freakin' 55!

What the hell is an organization that pushes financial security plans doing on the floor of a place that's supposed to be a healthy hotbed of hedonism? Where the hell are the folks pushing contraceptives? People advertising raging keggers? Goddamn, the paradigm keeps shifting on me. Am I going to see a Perry Como impersonator warbling in the halls soon?

Damn, this college is square.