11.24.2005

The end begins

The snowflakes drifted down from the sky. They gracefully made their way to the ground.
I stood with my arms spread wide, eyes shut, mouth open and tongue way out, trying to catch those itty-bitty flakes with my tastebuds.
The temperature had just dropped to a crisp 10-below celsius. A tender breeze lowered the air by a couple more degrees, but I couldn’t be happier.
There’s no greater feeling than standing on top of the tallest structure in a town wearing some brown tights and listening for the bell to sound signifying the next bout against evil.
I opened my eyes and looked at the quiet street below. The fluffy flakes kept coming down, thousands upon thousands.
I then had a flashback to Grade 2 science, when the teacher told us no two snowflakes were exactly alike.
I sat in my tiny desk next to the girl with cooties and believed every word the teacher spoke.
I wish I could have jumped up and yelled dogpoo.
How can you be so sure? There’s billions and billions of snowflakes falling every year. There must be two that are perfectly identical. Maybe one up in Alaska and one at the south pole that are the equal in every way.
I was a gullible fool. Seven years old and not even capable of seeing through my teacher’s deceitful words. Shame on me. My thoughts filled my head and lost my focus. It was a big mistake.
A whooshing sound pounded on my eardrums and a black blur appeared in my peripheral vision.
I heard a dull thud as the white snow flakes went fuzzy and the world was drown in black.
I awoke groggy, on my back in the alleyway behind Shop Easy Foods. My head hurt.
Once my eyes focused I could see the brick wall in front of me.
There were four letters written in neon green. My jaw dropped. I began to tremble. It couldn’t be. Terror rose through my body. Snot dripped out of my nose. I vomited out chunks of lunch. It didn’t taste good, but it didn’t matter.
My worst nightmare was coming true.
The four letters WANK.