2.05.2008

I Ain't Permission You At All

I just finished cataloguing a whole bunch of videos. It's probably one of the more intensive things about the job, but I love doing it because it gives me a chance to reminisce about these movies.

Anyways, for each of these movies we have to add a note about permissions. Most videos are set so they can only be watched in the home, and you know, that's cool. If you want to broadcast things to large groups of people or charge money for showings, you have to give the production company a taste. This is why videos for schools are so insanely expensive, and why unless you're living in a rich school district most of the videos your kids are watching are at least fifteen years old. I grew up in the eighties and I remember seeing films from the fifties, for goodness sake.

My favorite permission so far has been "for unadvertised, private home viewing only". That's all well and good, but does anybody do any advertised, private home viewing? Like, they're at the lunch table:

"Guess what guys! I'm watching Good Will Hunting tonight!"
"Cool, can we come over?"
"No, it's against the law."

Or have a note on the billboard that says Having a Shrek Marathon this weekend. That's it. No contact info, no address, no anything.

Permissions rule.