12.08.2004

The good ol' hockey game

Could NHL be coming back? Will my lonely Saturday become fun and exciting again?

There is that possibility when the NHL and the NHLPA resume talks Thursday.

The two sides could reconcile and I could be watching hockey by January.

That’s the dream anyway. I’m usually a glass-is-half-full type of guy, but not when it comes to this lockout.

When did hockey become about money? All the greedy players fighting against all the greedy owners.

All us greedy hockey fans just want hockey. More and more hockey. I want hockey every night. Three games a night.

I want big hits, nifty goals, spiffy saves and lots of fighting.

Oops. Let me wipe the drool from my mouth. I got carried away.

I don’t believe the two sides will solve anything. I think this is more of a meeting to call the season off. The NHL will look over the new proposal and say. “No, fuck you. We want cost certainty.”

The player’s association will be like “well that’s what we fucking proposed. Take it or fuck off.”

The NHL will respond “go play in fucking Europe. See if we give a fuck.”

Player reps will counter with “well we fucking will.”

Owners “fucking fine.”

Players “fine. Then the season’s fucking off.”

Rich greedy owners “good by us. We have other sources of fucking income.”

Superstar players “fuck you.”

Then they’ll walk out of the room, and we’ll have no season. Maybe next year.

They'll clean up their talk for the press releases to the media, but that's how I predict it will go.