6.17.2004

That’s it? It’s just a little harmless bunny.....Run away. Run away.

I run out my front door, down the stairs and along the gravel road. Abruptly the road becomes a trail and the trail leads to a rocky, dusty clearing. The sky is blood red with black clouds. Lightning flashes in the background. Thunder rumbles. What world am I in?

Sweat drips down my forehead. My lungs burn. I’m exhausted. I can’t stop to catch my breath. I don’t know what I’m fleeing from. All I know is that it’s evil. I look back. There’s nothing. Why am I running? Fear.

Finally my legs give way. I fall to the ground. I crawl forward a couple metres. My hands clasp red dirt as I pull myself forward.

Out of the corner of my eye, a blurry specter appears. My mind panics. Who is it? What does it want with me? The ghost takes shape. It wears a black hooded robe, carries a scythe, has skeleton hands and two beady red eyes. Death has come to claim my life.

I roll on my back and stare. I try to scream but my throat is dry.

“Do you know who I am?” Death’s voice booms.

I nod my head. I’ve met him before. My skin crawls.

“I’m here to guide you to the land of the dead.” The wraith lifts its blade high in the air. It has to kill my body before my soul can leave the world of the living behind.

I don’t want to leave my life, my family, my friends. I grab a handful of rocks. I throw them.

Death chuckles at my pitiful attempt. My last glimpse is the scythe’s shiny, silver tip penetrating my chest. Blood splatters everywhere. I shut my eyes.

When my eyelids open, I’m standing next to Death, naked. I don’t feel any pain. My chest bears no scars. I’m no longer afraid. I’m curious. What’s happening now?

“Follow me,” orders Death. It’s not a scary voice anymore. It’s almost soothing. A James Earl Jones type voice. The earth feels like a sandy beach on my bare feet.

“Where to?” I ask.

“You’ll find out shortly,” is its reply. I follow.

We head towards a black portal. Just before I step into the darkness, I awake in my bed. Blankets drenched in sweat. I feel good though. I take five deep breaths, roll over and fall back asleep.

Dying equals death.
I’ve heard it’s supposed to be a bad omen to die in your dreams, well your nightmares. I’ve been told that you die in real life shortly after. It’s not true. I’ve been killed numerous times in my dreams and one time I even went out looking to kill Death. I didn’t succeed, but damn was I close. Death beheaded me on an altar that time.

I’ve been hit by cars. I’ve been shot. I’ve plummeted to my death. I don’t just wake up at time of impact. I actually leave my body, rise up and look down upon myself. The first time was creepy. The second time wasn’t any better, but now I’m used to it.

I don’t know what happens in the afterlife, but I’m getting very curious. It's a new mystery to explore. It's something totally new and exciting. No one can warn you. No one can prepare you for what to expect. Religions try, but there are so many of them. Who is right? Are we reincarnated? Do we become that new baby born in the maternity ward and begin on another life? Heaven? Hell? Do we sail across the sea for eternal life like the elves in Lord of the Rings? Maybe our bodies are unplugged from the Matrix? We’re tossed into the used battery drawer.

Whatever it is I hope it’s fun. I hope it’s like Mardi Gras, spring break, the 4th of July all wrapped up as a Christmas present.

I'm sure Joel will tell me it's dark, gloomy and not fun. Screw you Joel.