3.02.2006

Display's the Thing

First off, a new song will be broadcasting on Superfuntimey Radio sometime tomorrow for your listening pleasure. Not that it matters, as it seems that none of you are listening to it. I got statistics, you know! So Jermey, thank you for utilizing our new feature. The rest of you are dinks. HOMECHILDREN! Stop by tomorrow, when I will DROP it like it's HOT! Boomshackylacky!

Okay, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Joel, and I'm in the Information Management and Library Technology program at Grant Macewan College in Edmonton, Alberta. Alberta is a province of Canada, which is a member country of North America, and that in turn is a continent of the beautiful planet we call Earth. Earth is a member of the solar system known as... *cough*. Hey, some of you don't know how I am and the rest need continual reminders that I exist, so I figured it'd be best to throw that out there.

Of the noble and esteemed crafts they teach us in our course is the Proud Art of Making Library Displays. Naturally, one of the assignments we have is constructing library displays of our own. I teamed up with my pal Mike to make this:


Breathtaking!

But before you drown me in your kudos - as you're prone to do - I should admit that I didn't lay one finger out to help make the thing, both in the conceptual stages and in the actual construction. Most of my input was to nod at my partner's ideas and say "Yeah, that's cool!" while he thought to himself "Yeah, like I wasn't going to do it anyway, you jackass..." But in return, the bulletin board display we have to make later is going to be entirely my brainchild. I'm not at liberty to discuss the details at this point, but I can let it slip that yes, Batman will be involved in some form.

To make it easier for classmates to offer constructive criticism without getting their faces punched in, our instructor has set up a blog with pictures of the displays. I looked at the comments page for ours and found this waiting:

Anonymous said...
Why not buy fabric with an optical illusion element and use it as the display liner?

This topic had so many possibilities, I was kinda disappointed.

The text is too small, and most of the display is at the base level. No use of the sides.

...

... *cough*


FUCKYOUDIEARRRRRRRGGGGHHH

I can't believe my classmates don't grasp why I'm annoyed by this! I mean, sure, it's not really my display, and my partner isn't perturbed by it in the least, but still! I've tried engaging them in a civilized discussion, but they usually end up screaming "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN HERE GET OUT!!!" while smacking the shit out of me with the nearby toilet brush. Well, since I'm not in the mood to spark some e-drama on a class blog, I'm just going to go offer my sophisticated and articulate rebuttal here.

Why don't YOU buy some fabric with a nice big element of SHUT THE HELL UP?

Great, now I'm all bitchy.